In 1965, the American Realty Service Corporation of Memphis, Tennessee formed plans to purchase about 1,700 acres in Adams County. In 1966 they bought the land and began the development of the Lake Meade subdivision.
In 1968, the American Realty Company turned the Lake Meade Subdivision over to the newly formed Lake Meade Property Owners Association. There are six miles of shoreline and approximately 300 acres of lake. There are about 18 miles of roads within the community.
Lake Meade Station Rescue
On December 21, 1896 a meeting was held for the purpose of reorganizing the fire company under the name of Liberty Fire Company No. 1 of East Berlin, Pennsylvania. Nothing can be found in the Borough Minutes or in Fire Company records as to how the name Liberty Fire Company No. 1 was decided upon. The records are too incomplete between 1892-1896 to make a determination.
On January 1, 2019, Liberty Fire Company No. 1 merged with Lake Meade Fire and Rescue Inc. to become Northeast Adams Fire & EMS.
1991 American LaFrance : Service ended on April 11, 2015.
The Original Liberty Firehouse: Built in 1892, and maintained by the East Berlin Historical Preservation Society, this landmark is on Fourth Street in the Borough of East Berlin.
ADAMS COUNTY PA COMPANY 32
FIRE & EMS
Lake Meade Fire and Rescue, Inc., was organized in 1976. It began as the Lake Meade Volunteer Protective Organization. In 1978, a four bay building was constructed to house the fire and rescue vehicles and equipment. In 1995, due to changing equipment mandates, a larger four bay addition was added. This allowed the old building to be used for meetings and training.
On January 1, 2019, Lake Meade Fire and Rescue, Inc. merged with Liberty Fire Company No. 1 of East Berlin to become Northeast Adams Fire & EMS.
The Lake Meade community has over 1,060 households that depend upon Northeast Adams Fire & EMS to protect lives and property.
Lake Meade Station Ambulance
1961 American LaFrance Engine: Ready for action in this photo from the late '60s.
The first information regarding a local fire company was found in the minutes of the East Berlin Borough Council, dating back to the late 1800s. In 1887, a motion to purchase a steam fire engine was later tabled indefinitely. In 1892, a motion was made by the East Berlin Borough Council to purchase the town's first engine. After purchasing land on Fourth Street, the first fire station was constructed.